EUGENE, OR – On Monday, May 12 at noon, the UO Coalition to End Sexual Violence (UO-CESV) will rally with students, staff, and faculty at Johnson Hall to hand the President’s Office a list of demands regarding our concerns about safety and sexual violence on our campus. We are demanding that UO administrators hold a press conference by Thursday, May 15 to respond to these requests.
1) Provide advocacy independent of UO for survivors of sexual violence that corresponds to actual rates of sexual violence at the University;
2) Support the expansion of the UO’s Multicultural General Education requirements to include at least one mandatory class that addresses gender, sexuality, and social inequality in the United States;
3) Provide resources for Dr. Jennifer Freyd’s research team so that they can begin conducting their campus climate research survey by Monday, June 2, 2014;
4) Appoint a UO-CESV member to the committee charged with revising the student conduct code, as well as to all future committees regarding sexual misconduct and prevention;
5) Hold a press conference at noon on Thursday, May 15 that includes the following:
A public apology from the University Administration for lying about the University’s failure to act on a reported sexual assault;
An outline of specific measures regarding sexual violence prevention at the University of Oregon and a list of specific resources that will be allocated to these measures;
A public signing of the Academic Freedom policy, which will enable staff to speak freely and openly on this and other issues regarding the University;
A direct response to items 1-4 above.